First Checkin Steps

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:42 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2007 at 4:56 PM
I finally figured this out last night so thought I would share...

1) Copy cpc.exe and tfc.exe to the root folder for your source code.

2) Launch a command prompt and navigate to the root folder for your source code.

3) Type 'cpc checkout [projectname]' without the quotes and press the Enter key. Replace [projectname] with your actual project name. Supply credentials if you haven't already done so. The result of the checkout command should be the following...

A .

...yes, that's all you will get -- the letter A and a period. There is also a hidden '_tfs' folder created in the root folder for your source code (if you really, really want to double check).

4) Type 'cpc syncup' without the quotes and press the Enter key. You will be prompted to add every file and folder in your root source code folder (including subfolders). The output may be a bit confusing, so let me break it down for you...

Adding a file in the root folder...

cpc.exe
Add to source control? [Y]es, [N]o, [D]elete, [A]dd all ? (N) n

Adding a folder...

PowerPlaylist
Add to source control? [Y]es, [N]o, [D]elete, [A]dd all ? (N) y

Adding a subfolder...

+ PowerPlaylist
PowerPlaylist\Art

Adding a file in a subfolder...

+ PowerPlaylist\Art
PowerPlaylist\Art\PowerPlaylist.ai

...and so on.

5) Type 'cpc commit' without the quotes and press the Enter key. A temporary text file will be created and opened.

6) Enter the release details at the top of the text file (something like 'Initial Upload' will be fine).

7) Save the text file.

8) Close the text editor.

9) cpc.exe in the command prompt will ask you to confirm the commit. Answer yes.

10) After uploading cpc.exe will give you details about the upload including the Change Set number.

And you are done. Visit your projects source code page at http://www.codeplex.com to see the results.
Oct 1, 2007 at 3:40 AM
Thanks! :)
Mar 3, 2008 at 6:26 PM
thanks
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:46 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 3:52 AM
Thanks! The instructions on the cpc front page missed at least one crucial step :-)
Documentation is king.

By the way I did the syncup wrong. Is there a way I can "unsync" a particular folder?
Jul 14, 2008 at 12:42 AM
Thanks also found this very helpful.... this should be added somewhere in the official documentation..
Sep 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM
Thanks also found this very helpful.... this should be added somewhere in the official documentation..