Can't apply patch -> error: Won't clobber writable

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:37 AM
Edited Aug 19, 2007 at 10:40 AM
I'm trying to apply a patch and I get the error: error: Won't clobber writable filename.cs
This is spat out for every single file that the patch effects. And, not surpringly, the patch isn't applied and no files are updated. Which is kinda useless really.

I'm running the command: cpc applypatch xmlfilename.xml

Call me stupid, but I have no idea what it's trying to tell me. Just apply the damn patch is my response in any case ;-)

Can anyone explain what the problem might be here?
Aug 19, 2007 at 6:49 PM
One of two things has happened:

1. The system thinks that the files you're trying to replace have already been modified by you, so it's warning you that it won't overwrite your changes. This seems less likely, since it's doing it for all the file.

2. You have the source code there, but didn't get it through a checkout. Follow the workflow outlined here: http://www.codeplex.com/CodePlexClient/Wiki/View.aspx?title=HowToAcceptContributions
Aug 19, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Edited Aug 19, 2007 at 10:42 PM
Hi

I discovered the problem, it's more or less number (2) but in a tricky way.
I got the source code through a checkout from TeampriseExplorer... which I thought was a proper way but it looks like the two don't mix - I'll just stick to the CodePlex command line.
Aug 20, 2007 at 12:30 AM

PandaWood wrote:

I got the source code through a checkout from TeampriseExplorer... which I thought was a proper way but it looks like the two don't mix - I'll just stick to the CodePlex command line.

You are correct. The patching system in the CodePlex Client relies on a full round trip through the client itself, primarily because a patch is not necessarily just about changing existing files (adds and deletes are scheduled to be performed by cpc).

It's not compatible with any other source control client.